When learning, it is very important to build on strengths. I really appreciate the design of the 812 course, which builds on projects we created in 810 and 811. For example, the podcast project extended our techquest project and allowed us to add a new element to our blogs. One highlight of this course was the Valenza article and the forum discussion about the valuable information packed into this article. I plan to devote more time to learning how to search more effectively and teach students the higher-order skills required to access, evaluate and synthesize information they find on their searches.
In my techquest project on Promethean Boards, I was able to connect research findings with my own goals for using this technology tool. I used the ISTE NETS for teachers to develop a technology plan for my future classroom. Both of these projects helped me to advance my understanding of how to meet ISTE NETS standards with the effective use of the technology tools in our local classrooms.
The most important outcome of this class was my increased comfort level in selecting, using and problem-solving with a variety of software and internet resources. My "coolness factor" has been raised, since I can now navigate new tools (such as my new touch screen phone) and new programs (such as garage band.) I am better able to share ideas with my sons (aged 10 and 14) about our favorite tools, apps and programs. See the end of this post for a summary of my positive experiences at my first technology conference.
Questions and Challenges:
The clock is ticking....My challenges are the same as those faced by other busy teachers. As a full-time teacher and mother of teenagers, my main question is how to incorporate technology in the classroom and develop my confidence with new technology tools without spending too much time at a computer screen. My goal is to mentor fellow teachers on the effective uses of educational technology resources such as WebQuests, podcasts, ActivInspire flipcharts, etc. How can I convince them that it is worth investing their valuable time to learn and apply these resources to their classrooms? I need to learn more about time management strategies, ways to work more efficiently on the internet (without getting lost in a labyrinth of interesting images and bits of info) and how to make the best use of my time with students. Along these same lines, I am working with my sons to reflect on the amount of time that they spend on the computer and which activities are "displaced" by this time in front of a screen. I know that many parents are struggling with this same challenge in their homes.
Future Plans:
I plan to continue in the MAET program until I complete my master's degree. I am convinced that these classes will provide well-selected materials and projects that will advance my understanding of how to integrate technology in my classroom. Also, I plan to take advantage of all of the training opportunities that I can find along the way, including training offered by my 2 sons. It is very empowering for our "digital natives" to teach the eager-to-learn immigrants such as myself.
This screen shot is from the Alaska Society for Technology in Education, www.aste.org

The first three MAET courses (810, 811, and 812) gave me to gain the skills and confidence I needed to attend my first ASTE conference. This was such a worthwhile 3 days of training!
I learned and practiced new skills at the two classes I took at the pre-conference and the two sessions I attended at the regular conference. I walked away with a new comfort level in 2 programs (ActivInspire and garage band) and techniques for creating multi-media projects using web 2.0 tools.
Even though it is stressful at times, I am very thankful all of the training and support I have received so far on this learning journey. I know that I need to "go slow in order to go fast." Now, I just need to figure out how to work more efficiently and effectively.
I know what you mean by the computer time! I am spending so many hours on a machine a day and not getting as much exercise and reading time that I would like. I did solve the reading part though as I listen to books while I exercise! You will love the tool on your Mac. I spent way too many hours when I first got mine creating videos for the family etc. I love Garageband too. I just wish there more hours in the day to do everything I want to do. I think we all do as we get older!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to see you have grown so much in this program and will continue to do so in the Masters Program. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at ASTE. MACUL our Mi equivalent starts Wed and I am nervous already since I have so many presentations and hope to see some myself. Good luck in your endeavors.
I am also continuing on in the masters program and hope to see you in some of the future classes. It has been great working and learning with you. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteI will be in the masters program also, hopefully I get the privilege of working with you again, you were a great group member! I found that incorporating technology into my lessons has been very beneficial to myself and my students and though it is time consuming in many cases it pays off in the end for my students! Good luck with your endeavors and your continued training.
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed working with you. I wish we could have spent more time talking. I am sure I could learn from you. I am a busy mother, wife, and teacher as well. I did have a chance to explore VoiceThread and found some wonderful projects. I too am continuing in the MAET program. I hope to be able to work with you again. I will keep your blog bookmarked. Have a great rest of the year!
ReplyDelete