Sunday, February 14, 2010

My research on interactive white boards (IWBs) and their effective use in the classroom has lead me to a collection of interesting studies found on the ERIC database. I have found some articles on the website for THE journal (Technological Horizons in Education). When I searched the internet using google scholar, I found a number of recent research articles on IWBs, mostly from the UK.

On the Promethean website,http://www.prometheanworld.com, there are links to 10 research articles. I plan to continue researching the study conducted by the Marzano Research Lab on the effectiveness of the Promethean IWB as well as the critical reviews of this study.

For my 810 class, I analyzed the Marzano Research Lab study on the Promethean IWB and read blogger's criticisms of this study. These critical reviews can be found at the following sites: http://iwbrevolution.ning.com/profiles/blogs/taking-aim-at-marzano-and-1, http://edtechleadership.com/wordpress3/?p=246, http://edinsanity.com/2009/06/03/marzano_part2/
I will continue to look for additional studies and participate in a forum discussion about effective use of IWBs on the site, classroom 2.0, http://www.classroom20.com/forum

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have laid a lot of the ground work for implementing the use of the Promethean IWB. I am very interested in learning about the effectiveness. I think it is a good idea to look at the critical reviews as well. In my own research I found some. I found plenty of things to avoid as I implement my own project. I will check out some of the sites you have listed. They may be of some help in my own classroom as I look for ways to improve my own instruction. Good luck with your research. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The IWB's are great and it sounds like you really know what you're doing! I want to see how effective they are in the classroom, a colleague of mine just got one installed this year in his room and uses it daily in almost every single class and his students seem to really enjoy it, it's just hard to tell if it is effective for his students. Good luck with pulling all the research together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your final paper you will want to outline your research and tell us more about your findings.
    That is a great idea to participate in the discussion forum. You should be able to get some great ideas from others. You will want to include both the pros and cons in your final paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also interested to know more about what you found...Another intersting thing would be to compare your findings about the Promethean Board to the Smart Board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am interested in knowing more. This is the first time I have heard of the Promethean Boards. I always hear so much on the Smart Boards. I can't wait to hear the results of your search.

    ReplyDelete