Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ideas and plans for Promethean research

I will be attending a training at our school this Friday to help teachers get started with the new Promethean Boards in their classrooms. Although I am not employed as a certified teacher this year, the school staff is supportive of my goal of using the Promethean Board this year to work on creative and informational writing projects. Here are some elements of my plan.
  • attend school-wide training about Promethean Boards and collaborate with teachers
  • attend the state-wide ASTE (Alaska Society for Technology in Education) conference from Feb 20-22. The full-day session on Feb 20 is devoted to ActivInspire, a Promethean program
  • explore the use of Promethean Boards to teach units in creative and informational writing, starting with short-term projects with a kindergarten class
I am currently working on an "animal riddle" book with a group of wonderful kindergarten students. This was an idea that "bubbled up" from their interests and enthusiasm. I will explore how to take this lift-the-flap book (created on my laptop and printed out so that students could illustrate their pages) and put it into a digital format. Or, we may find animal riddles as part of the Promethean offerings.
I am very excited about exploring how to teach and inspire writing projects with this new technology tool.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting. I know nothing about Prometheum IWBs but I a colleague of mine got a SmartBoard this year in his room and uses it for History classes and loves it. I'm guessing maybe they are similar? If it's anything similar to what he has you will love and so will your students. The fact that it's interactive is a huge boost for the students. Enjoy your training too, it should be useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same situation as Jskeels. I am not familiar with Promethean IWBs. I have had experience with SmartBoards. I am very interested in learning more about this technology. I look forward to reading more about this. - Chey

    ReplyDelete