Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Eating what we are teaching

In our schools, are students eating in a way that matches what we are teaching about nutrition? If you feel strongly about the lack of nutrition in your school lunches, check out this video from Edutopia: http://www.edutopia.org/king-lunch-video
Today I will request copy of our school's wellness policy, which was mandated by the Congress in 2004. All school districts with a federally-funded breakfast/lunch program need to have this wellness policy to cover nutrition and physical education at their schools. For more info, go to http://www.schoolwellnesspolicies.org/
I am concerned about the food being served to our students in the lunch room and would like to see the students eating in a way that matches our teaching about nutrition. I know that it is a balance between what the students WILL eat and what is healthiest for them, but why are our schools still serving chocolate milk, tater tots, corn dogs,...?
The middle school I attended in Berkeley, CA is a wonderful source of inspiration for school meals that really nourish our kids and their lives. For more info, go to http://www.edibleschoolyard.org
One more video that I highly recommend on the Edutopia site: http://www.edutopia.org/night-global-village

No comments:

Post a Comment